Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, we have experienced a great shift in the way of our everyday life and are now forced to adapt to new rules and regulations for the well being of all citizens around the globe. Amidst the change, fleet managers continue to deal with pre-lockdown issues such as risky driver behaviour. Geotab explores how COVID-19 is negatively impacting driver behaviour and how can we prevent it using the MyGeotab features.
With the decrease of vehicles on the road due to the lockdown, we are seeing riskier behaviour from drivers which includes speeding, harsh cornering and harsh braking. This increase in risk can really put a strain on the business, should it translate to down time, and ultimately financial loss. Read more on how driver behaviour impacts total cost of ownership.
Factors Contributing to Risky Driver Behaviour
Why are we seeing increased risk in driving behaviour? Reasons contributing to this trend include: roads being much emptier, an increase in demand for products and limited suppliers being operational or fully operational. Verizon Connect have reported on the challenges faced by the transportation industry. “Supply chain disruptions and nationwide emergency delivery needs are causing fleet managers, dispatchers and drivers to work longer hours”.
According to a report by Netstar, regular checks conducted by law enforcement via roadblocks to ensure citizens are adhering to the government rules, further contribute to delivery delays. Thus, suppliers are trying their best to deliver which can lead to increased risky behaviour.
How to Prevent Risky Driver Behaviour
- While the Coronavirus pandemic is slowing down some business operations, use this opportunity to do fleet checks on your in-vehicle management system (IVMS). Ensuring your system is operational will provide further insight into driving behaviour. Read more on how Geotab’s built-in reports can assist fleet operators.
- Driver training – it goes without saying, that training is part and parcel of correcting risky behaviour. Watch a video on the importance of driver training.
- Setup automated reporting in order to receive instant notifications for transgressions, and act on them promptly. Read more on preventing dangerous driver behaviour with exception rules.
- Ensure drivers are well rested and that they are not pressured into risky behaviours in order to meet demand.
- Implement in-cab driver coaching solutions.
- Conduct regular Road Safety talks.
- Predictive Coaching by means of understanding your data and creating learning programs to address the issues. Read more on improving fleet efficiency.
We need to operate with extra precaution despite the emptier roads. Reducing these risks are beneficial in ensuring that your business and third parties, continue to operate with limited downtime.
Speak to one of our consultants today for more information or guidance on fully utilizing your Geotab Fleet Management System.
Author: Sugandran Kannigan | Team Lead Operations & Projects – Geotab Africa
Download our industry-specific brochures:
Construction Vertical Brochure| Courier and Delivery Vertical Brochure | Field Sales & Services Vertical Brochure | Food and Beverage Vertical Brochure | Government Vertical Brochure | Mobility Transport Vertical Brochure | Oil Gas & Mining Vertical Brochure | Police and First Responder Vertical Brochure | Towing Vertical Brochure | Transportation and logistic Vertical Brochure | Utilities Vertical Brochure